Human Resources Director
The City of Marion is looking for a dynamic and seasoned Human Resources Professional to join its team. Marion is nestled in the foothills of western North Carolina and has a population of 7,652 people according to the 2020 Census. We are home to a vibrant downtown filled with retail shops, restaurants, pubs, breweries and more. The City hosts a number of diverse and cultural events annually. Whether you are a hiking enthusiast or an avid participant in retail therapy, Marion offers small town charm with big city amenities. Marion is “where Main Street meets the mountains”.
The Human Resources Director position is new to our City and is being added in recognition of our growing community and the need to give more focused attention to our greatest asset in providing quality City services – our employees. The City currently has 111 full time authorized positions as well as several part-time positions.
Responsibilities of this position include planning, organizing, developing, modifying, implementing, and administering a variety of human resources programs designed to help the City achieve its mission and vision. Functions performed include policy development, classification and compensation, employee relations, training and organizational development, recruitment and selection, benefits management, performance management and evaluation programs, safety and risk management, and personnel records management. This position is a member of the management team and reports directly to the City Manager.
Essential Job Functions Include:
• Develops, implements, and administers a wide variety of personnel systems designed to recruit, train, motivate and retain employees
• Works with management and employees in identifying and addressing conflict, communications barriers, or other problems that negatively impact morale, employee engagement and productivity
• Develops and recommends human resources programs and policies
• Supervises and participates in the recruitment and selection programs for the City
• Administers the classification and pay system; prepares annual compensation and benefits statements.
• Supervises and participates in training needs assessments and provision of orientation and training
• Oversees performance evaluation and performance pay program and various incentive and recognition programs
• Assists departments in developing career ladders and succession planning
• Researches, recommends, and administers various benefits programs; ensures cost effectiveness of structure and providers of benefits;
• Insures compliance with all federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and guidelines pertaining to human resources
• Oversees the safety and risk management program
• Oversees payroll and payroll reporting processes
• Salary Range of $65,312 - $ $80,000, depending upon experience and qualifications
• Comprehensive Health Insurance plan that includes Employer Paid Medical, Dental, and Vision for Employees
• NC Local Government Employees Retirement System membership and benefits
• Life Insurance
• Paid Sick, Vacation, and Wellness Leave
• 13 Paid Holidays
• 5% automatic 401k Employer Contribution
• Employee Assistance Program
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and City of Marion application to email@example.com. A fillable City application can be found at City of Marion Job Application, a complete job description can be found at HR Director Job Description, and a job announcement flyer can be found at HR Director Job Announcement. Application review will begin on February 13, 2023. Should you have any questions, contact Julie Scherer, Finance Director, at (828) 652-3551 ext 312.
The City of Marion is an Equal Opportunity Employer.